13 Things Most People Don’t Know About The Hit Film ‘Grease’
It was a movie turned instant blockbuster. It was the highest grossing movie of its time. It made unknown actors household names and it is still entertaining fans each and every day! It’s the movie ‘Grease’ and it’s in Hollywood history forever. Here are 13 things about ‘Grease’ that will leave you saying, “Tell me more, Tell me more!”
1. Danny and Sandy were a match made in Hollywood Heaven. John Travolta (Danny) and Olivia Newton John (Sandy) had instant chemistry on the big screen as high school sweethearts that are perfect examples of how opposites attract. It was Summer Lovin‘ that happened so fast as they sang and danced their way to romance and the big bucks!
2. The King of Rock and Roll, Elvis Presley passed on an invite to play the Guardian Angel’s role. Wow! Could you imagine his hip gyrating, jailhouse rock, you ain’t nothin‘ but a hound dog routine singing to our Beauty School dropout? Frankie Avalon was a much better fit for an angel. But Elvis was still featured in the movie…
3. Although Elvis turned down the role, he was an instrumental part of a sleep over scene where Rizzo makes fun of Sandy’s goodie two shoes personality. Her song, “Look at Me, I’m Sandra D” included the line, “Elvis, Elvis, Let me be, keep that pelvis far from me” a tribute to the King of Rock. Elvis would sadly die during the filming of ‘Grease’.
4. No Dancing For Dinah: She’s no dancer that was for sure, but she was a cutie patootie in the ‘Grease’ film. Dinah Manoff who played Ditzy Marty could not dance a step they say. You can’t have it all, right Dinah?
5. What! No Olivia Newton John? It was reported that Olivia Newton John almost didn’t accept the role of Sandy in the popular musical. She felt she was too old to play a high school student, but in the end was the perfect fit to play the naive in love teenager from the 1950’s.
6. You’re The One That I Want! The end of the movie, Sandy caves and sheds the poodle skirt to capture Danny’s heart. The iconic scene features the two dressed in skin tight black leather, Sandy with spiked heels, big hair and Danny with just as tight pants and greased back hair. You’re the One That I Want was the tune they sang and danced to their romantic happily ever after.
7. Coke, It’s The Real Thing! But not this time! Soft drink giant Coca-Cola was contracted with ‘Grease’ to pop up in and out of scenes, but due to some fine print, their exposure fell flat. The final cut had to remove references to Coke, a great big marketing fail!
8. Fancy Dancing Family: Cast members became like a big family on the ‘Grease’ set. The producers wanted the audience to feel the family style love. So everyone had a nick name………. Bubba, Moose, Rizzo and Frenchie…ahhh the good old days!
9. Princess Leia As Sandy…Say it wasn’t so! If our singing starlet Olivia Newton John passed on the role of Sandy, the late Carrie Fisher was in line for the part. Now that’s Grease Lightning!
10. A Girl’s Gotta Do What A Girl’s Gotta Do! Especially her hair do. To get the role of Jan, actress Jamie Donnelly had to dye her premature gray hair to get her part. It’s all in a day’s work.
11. Ageless Talent: You might not have even guessed but many of the actors in ‘Grease’ were older than teenagers. Some were in their 20s, some as old as in their 30s! Riddell High school had some ageless talent.
12. Tell Me More, Tell Me More! Jeff Conaway who was Kenickie, the studly stud was secretly in love with Olivia Newton John during filming but later fell in love and married her sister. Now that’s sisterly love, right Kenickie?
13. The Drag Race Beauty: Annette Charles, the hourglass shaped beauty who played Cha Cha got really sick during filming and was “drug off” to the Emergency room. Thankfully she returned to the set to start the famous drag race with that beautiful body! They shot the Thunder Road scene and that night, Charles was diagnosed with a tubal pregnancy and was rushed into surgery.